Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Finley Principle

Trust. The first two definitions in the Merriam-Webster dictionary are: 1a) assured reliance on the character, ability, strength, or truth of someone or something; 2b) one in which confidence is placed.

They’ve trusted me with Finley this morning. Dan went off to work. After putting Finley down for his morning nap, Allison drove off to her former classroom to clean out her belongings. She’s changing jobs in the fall, so it’s time to retrieve all her possessions from the Cabot School where she spent the last seven years.

Someone had to watch Finley. That’s what retired grandparents are for, n’est pas?

Last time I soloed with Finley he was but a few weeks old and it was supposed to be just a few moments while he slept and Allison dashed out to the cleaners. Finley was sleeping in the Beco carrier I was wearing when he woke up unexpectantly and discharged an unmistakable sound. I hadn’t changed a diaper in more than a quarter century (Ellie had toilet trained at 17 months!!!) but I wasn’t going to let him wallow in poop until mom came home. It’s a good thing I didn’t. A few moments turned into more than a quarter hour from poop time because a traffic tie-up forced Allison to take a detour home.

The now 7-month-old Finley started his nap a little after 9 am. Dan called to check in at 10:30, waking me from my nap. Allison called around 11. Ditto result. Finley finally woke up around 11:20, let me change, dress and place him in the car seat in Dan’s Subaru (we had switched cars because my Toyota didn’t have the proper baby seat anchoring system) and patiently awaited our trip to the Cabot School. I reversed down the driveway, adhered to Lady Garmin’s direction to drive “the highlighted route” and then heard a grinding noise come from the rear of the car. It was not coming from Finley. I stopped, got out out and found the rear right tire...flat!

Allison rushed home, AAA changed the tire, but the principle had been set in my mind. I now trust in the Finley Principle—if something can go wrong while I babysit, it will.