Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Extra! Extra! Read About Print Journalism Films

Fact or fiction based loosely, at times closely, on facts?


That was the choice video viewers had Monday night as PBS ran part one of its two-part documentary of newspaper publishing magnate William Randolph Hearst, while TCM counter-programmed with “Citizen Kane,” the Orson Welles fictionalized masterpiece structured around Hearst’s larger-than-life life (for the record, I caught short bursts of both, content I was recording PBS and that I had seen “Citizen Kane” countless times).


As a former newspaper reporter and magazine editor I am partial to movies with a print journalism focus (a subsequent list will come for electronic media). Herewith are my favorites:


Libeled Lady


Citizen Kane


Gentleman’s Agreement


The Front Page


His Girl Friday


All the President’s Men


The Life of Emile Zola


Deadline-USA 


Five Star Final


The Paper


Ace in the Hole


Spotlight


The Devil Wore Prada


It happened One Night


Call Northside 777


I Want To Live!